Church of St. Daniel, Štanjel
The Church of St Daniel was built in the mid-15th century and is one of the most important monuments of Gothic architecture in the Karst Region.
Church of St. Daniel was built between 1455 and 1460 where an older building once stood. Despite later Baroque alterations it represents one of the most important monuments of Gothic architecture in the Karst. Two Gothic entrances are still visible from the outside. There are also some Gothic windows and a ring of pillars by the presbytery. Inside, a sharp Gothic arch leads to the presbytery. The church got its current Baroque design in the 17th and 18th centuries. The stone Baroque altars are believed to have been made by the Lazzarini atelier of Gorica. The most interesting one is a relief depicting the Castle of Štanjel on the main altar. Two wooden statues of saints were made by the renowned Štajerska sculptor Johan Straub.
In 1609, a belltower was added to the main building. Because of its characteristic spire it has become the symbol of Štanjel. Both outside and in, we can see the tombstones of the Counts of Cobenzel and other dynasties. Fabiani designed the plan for reconstruction and persuaded the army government of the Free Territory of Trieste in Trieste in financing the renovation. The whole set: the church, steeple and the churchyard – have a significant place.
On the facade of the sacristy a monument dedicated to Anton Mahnič was built by Evgen Guštin.
GPS: 45.8233522, 13.8455989
Back to list